Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Truth

I hate losing things. My problem is I am so forgetful that I do it all the time. I lose my keys, I lose my wallet and probably most of all I lose my cell phone. Most of the time my phone is an easy thing to find, I simply call it from another phone and then walk around listening for it until I find it. There are times however that won't work. Sometimes I turn it off, sometimes the battery is dead and then sometimes I do something stupid like leave it at work (last week)! When I can't find what I am looking for I usually go through several stages; anger that I lost it, frustration that I am so forgetful, confusion because I can't remember, and then finally denial. You know how it is, if you lose something most of the time its someone elses fault for moving it! No matter what stage I am in though, the sick feeling in the pit of my stomach never goes away. I know that no matter where I look or what I say or who I blame, I am never going to find what I am looking for.

Many people in the world and I am afraid many in the church have the empty feeling in the pit of their stomachs when it comes to the truth. Lots of people realize that they don't have it, don't know what it is and don't know where to find it. They go through life searching and questioning and blaming others for their own deficiencies. The world is angered by the fact that Christians claim to know the truth and find peace in it. Honestly, I understand their anger. When I lose something important to me and no one around me seems to care, I get angry too. Jesus Christ said in John 14:6 that he is, "The Way, The Truth and The Life, no man cometh to the Father but by me". That is an absolute truth that the world needs to know, but how can they know it if we fail to share it. It is my hope and my prayer that we (I) do a better job of sharing the truth with others, I want them to know I care that they have lost the truth. Paul in his letter to the Galatians is sharing the hard facts with his readers (that salvation is by grace through faith alone) because he loves them. He knew that they were lost, he knew that they were grasping at straws to fill the void in their lives and he knew that the only answer to all of their questions was the Truth of the gospel. I hope you know the truth too, don't lose it and don't be afraid to share it. The same gospel that set men free in Paul's day, is setting men free today. Share out of love, share out of obedience and share because you have found what they are looking for. We have the Truth, and the Truth shall set us free!

No comments:

Post a Comment