Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Growth

My wife is in full blown consignment sale mode. What that means for me and the kids is, if you want to keep it, don't set it down! She has this whole system worked out involving hangers, plastic bags and a fog machine to keep us from seeing what she is getting rid of. At first I thought the subterfuge was for the sake of the kids, but recently I figured out it was for my sake. I tend to get sentimental when it comes to getting rid of things that belonged to the kids. I still remember the days when the babies couldn't fall asleep without that special stuffed toy, and now to see it just tossed in a bag forgotten about, kind of hurts me a little. Karen is constantly reminding me though that, "we aren't going to be sad about what WAS, but excited about what soon will be". That's sound advice and more evidence of why I married her.

Many Christians I am afraid are far to happy living in the "once was", all the while never moving on into the "what could be". I know far too many believers who spend all their time talking about what God has done for them. They have a great testimonies about how God saved them from this sin or that addiction. Now I am not downplaying the importance of a good testimony; what God has done for you is a great tool to use when sharing your faith with someone else. What I am afraid of though is that too many of us get saved and then just kind of wait around for death or Jesus coming back, which ever comes first. That kind of lifestyle runs contrary to what the scriptures command us to do. In the book of Galatians, Paul is writing to a group of believers who are saved, but spiritually immature. They get tossed about by every doctrinal wind that blows, they fall victim to every slick tongued preacher with "a word". The reason that they were so susceptible to the lies, was they hadn't grown in the truth. A study in the book of Galatians is a tough one, like I have said to the class many times, its like swimming in the deep end of the pool. It is only through studies like this one though that we build spiritual muscles and become familiar with the truth. The scripture constantly exhorts us to pray, study, work, pray and then work some more. I hope that you are working, because it is through the work of the gospel that we will be strengthened and those around us will be saved. Where are you on the "spiritual growth" chart. Are you growing up, moving beyond the ways of your youth or are you content where you are? Never be content, good just isn't good enough.
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment